Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New Y Members!

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to become more active with the boys. I had just quit smoking (YAY!!!) and wanted to keep up the healthy roll, so at the end of December, I stopped at the YMCA near our house just to check it out. A friend from high school I haven't seen in years greeted me and took me on a tour. I knew the boys would LOVE IT.
Once I found out how much it was, I thanked her for her time and told her maybe when our financial situation changed, I would come back. She suggested I apply for the Y's Open Doors Program. Basically, it's like financial assistance - a reduced monthly rate membership. I would have to submit bank records, paycheck stubs, and a short essay explaining why a YMCA membership would benefit our family. It took me a few weeks to put it all together, to swallow the pride to ask for that sort of help, even temporarily, but I turned in the application shortly after our court date in January.
I'm excited to report that I got the call today saying we have been approved for the program! We will be proud members of the Y starting this week. It will be great for all 3 of us...for me, to lose some of the weight I've picked up since I quit smoking, and for the boys to meet some new kids (no boys AT ALL in our apt complex) and exercise in a fun way (ie., not PE class). Good for our bodies and our souls.
Unexpected gifts like these give me hope for me and the boys, and for our futures.

No comments: